colorful history of Crystal Lake Resort and the adjoining town of
Pine dates back to 1872. The Denver-South Park & Pacific Narrow
Gauge Railroad built 340 miles of track from Denver to Leadville
Colorado, mainly to facilitate the booming Timber Industry. Pine
Grove (now Pine) sprung up to serve as a coaling and water station
for the trains and Crystal Lake soon developed into a favorite picnic
resort area. Amenities included a dance pavilion and billiards parlor.
By the mid 1880's, there were regular fishing trains that would
stop at points along Platte Canyon including Crystal Lake to let
off ardent fishermen. When they wanted to return to Denver with
creels full, they would simply wave down the train with a handkerchief
which would stop and let them aboard.
In the 1920's Charles Eggert bought Crystal Lake and founded the Eggert
Ice Co. furnishing much of Denver's ice, cut from the Resort's lake,
shipped via the railroad. Eggert built ice-storage, a bunk house and
the Crystal Lake Lodge. A very popular restaurant was operated at
the Lodge from the 1940's until
The present owners, the Jones family, acquired the resort in 1993
with the idea of gradually rebuilding this historic site to it's former
grandeur. The first step in this restoration was the opening of the
refurbished Ice House, Ice storage, and bunk houses as the Crystal
Lake Bed and Breakfast.
Next, the resort's restaurant, The Trout River Grill, was opened
as a catering facility to all special events and as a fine dining
option to the public. Presently Trout River Catering, is not open
to the public, but does do a limited number of off premises catering
events as well as all on site catering for the resort. An event
Pavilion with a capacity of 150-200 guests was constructed on the west
shore of Crystal Lake.